"This Week at Zion!"
Breaking News ...
- Mar 14, Lenten Bible Study, Acts 7:54-60, 7pm at church
- Mar 16, Zion Men’s Lunch, 12:00 noon at the Atlantic Restaurant, 888 Ridge Rd, Webster, NY 14580
- Mar 21, Lenten Bible Study, Acts 9:1-19, 7pm at church
- Mar 24, Zion Quilting Ministry, 9-noon, meet at the church
- March 26, Paul, Apostle of Christ, 7:30 pm, Cinemark Tinseltown, Gates NY. http://www.paulmovie.com/site/
- Mar 28, Leadership, starting with Pastor Parish Relations at 7:00 pm, followed by Trustees, and Leadership
- Mar 29, Maundy Thursday worship, East Rochester UMC, 12 noon and 7pm
- Mar 30, Good Friday worship, 7pm at church
- April 1, Easter Sunday!
- April 2, Clergy Team breakfast, 9:00 am
- April 15, 5pm Dish-to-Pass Fellowship dinner, at church
- April 19, Zion Quilting Ministry, 6-9 pm, meet at the church
- April 21, Imagine No Racism, 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm, Rush UMC
- May 10, Zion Quilting Ministry, 6-9 pm, meet at the church
- May 31-June 2, Annual Conference, Syracuse
- June 9, Gananda Garage Sale
- June 14, Zion Quilting Ministry, 6-9 pm, meet at the church
- July 27, Pie Sale at Walworth Festival in the Park
- August 8-9, Attic to Basement Rummage Sale at the church
There is a lot of news coming forth from Zion!
Meet Zion's Newest Missionaries - Ben and Emily Mooney!
Zion Women's Ministry, the missional outreach effort for our congregation, recently decided to provide monthly support for a new missionary family, Ben and Emily Mooney. Ben and Emily serve in Guatemala serving many who are impoverished and marginalized. They re-manufacture and distribute wheelchairs to those who need them, build houses to replace insecure and inadequate houses, make home visits to distribute malnutrition kits and make friends, and ... all this in the name of Jesus Christ and to the glory of God!
Read about their story at: http://www.bethelministriesinternational.com/ben-and-emily/
Pastor Lida, Lynn and Linda Saxton, and Pastor Todd have all had the privilege of serving with Ben and Emily on our short-term missionary trips to Guatemala. They have become good friends and are passionate to serve!
Responding to Natural Disasters
Four spiritual disciplines may be practiced as we respond to the terrible suffering due to recent natural disasters:
1. Pray. Pray for all who are impacted by the hurricane and floods. Pray for their safety, and the safety of their families and friends. Pray for the emergency response teams, local first responders, and those who are being deployed from across the nation.
2. Make a Financial Gift. Those who wish to support the work of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) as we respond to the hurricane Harvey disaster are encouraged to give to UMCOR’s US Disaster Response. Make your check out to the church and in the memo write: Advance #901670.
3. Create and Donate Disaster Relief Buckets. Assemble one or more buckets and bring them to church for blessing and donation. Cleaning, Hygiene, and School disaster relief bucket donations are being accepted. Donated relief buckets will be forwarded through our pre-established UMCOR emergency response system. Learn more and watch instructional videos at: http://www.umcor.org/UMCOR/Relief-Supplies
4. Discern. In coming months, opportunities will rise for short-term mission teams to travel to the Texas Gulf Coast and assist in cleanup and rebuilding. Let each of us prepare ourselves for when we are asked the question: “Would you like to join our team?” Listen and watch for God’s movement in your life.
Prayer is one of our core values at Zion. We are always seeking new ways to bring spiritual depth to our daily prayer life, to utilize prayer to draw us more closely together, and to bring us deeper into relationship with God.
To encourage daily prayer by Zion's members and friends, we
- Take time during Sunday worship to lift up our spoken prayers. A member of the congregation will speak, and the pastor will affirm the spoken prayer by repeating it aloud. Consider balancing privacy with concern; using only first names when ever possible.
- Our faithful scribe, Cindy Plotzker, writes down every prayer request. She makes copies for distribution at the conclusion of the worship service. Members and friends in attendance are encouraged to use this list as a daily guide for prayer.
- Pastor Todd uses the copied prayer list to update our prayer web page ( zionwwumc.com/devotion-prayer/ ), usually on Monday morning. Encouragement to check the web page are made on Zion's Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/WestWalworthZion/ ), and, occasionally, by email. Editorial discretion is used by Pastor Todd to keep the list fresh and vibrant.
- Additions and edits to the prayer list may be forwarded to our Lay Leader, Sharon Boyd, or to Pastor Lida, or Pastor Todd. New prayer requests during the week are sent out to the email prayer chain and updated on the church web page as soon as practical.
Please know that every effort is being made to uphold prayer requests with dignity, modesty, and respect. If there is an error, please bring it to Pastor Todd's attention immediately so that it may be corrected.
Quarters for Campus Ministries!
Our Leadership Team decided to support Genesee Area Campus Ministries by designate our Quarter gifts for this mission. The conference ended funding in 2016, cutting the budget by over $11,000. We are trying to take our part in making up the loss. This is what you can do:
- Bring Quarters the last Sunday of each month and place them in the offering plate
- Take a ceramic bowl home and place it on your kitchen table to collect Quarters throughout the month
- Give Quarters any time by placing them in the bowl in the side room
- Support our United Methodist Student Sunday special offering this Fall
- Make an online donation. Simply go to: http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=2933 and following the directions. It is that easy!
Thank you for your generous support!
Quilting Ministries NEWS!
Contact Kim Valone at 986.4356 or Linda Saxton at 597.2208 to learn about upcoming meetings and how you can take part.
Invite a friend, share a ride, welcome everyone!
Missions of Zion
Missions, also known as outreach, are one of our four core values:
Remaining focused on these four values helps keep our community of faith strong and centered on Jesus Christ.
We've produced this short video to help outline the missional outreach of Zion.
Enjoy! Share it with your friends!
Pastor Todd's Office Hours
Pastor Todd does not hold regular office hours at Zion. He is, however, available for appointments. If you would like to meet with him call 585.703.9235.
Pastor Todd does maintain regular office hours at the East Rochester United Methodist Church, located at 357 Fairport Road, East Rochester. He is generally in the office Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
Who Do You Call?
When you need a pastor, please feel free to contact either pastor Todd or pastor Lida. We both share prayer concerns and work closely together. Contact information is as follows:
Todd R. Goddard, Pastor, 6274 Knickerbocker Road, Ontario, NY 14519, 585.703.9235 (cell), email@example.com
Lida Merrill, Assistant to the Pastor, 585.402.6657 (cell), Lida.firstname.lastname@example.org
Support the Protestant Chapel Community at the University of Rochester
Online donations are now being accepted to support the Protestant chaplain at the UofR. Simply go to:
http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=2933 and following the directions. It is that easy!
Like Zion's Facebook page!