"This Week at Zion!"
Breaking News ...
- October 16 - Women’s Bible Study, 7:00 at Boyd’s
- October 19- Women’s Ministry volunteering at A Second Thought Resale Shop, 2-4:00 PM
- October 22- Dish to Pass church dinner, 5:00 PM
- October 23 - Women’s Bible Study, 7:00 at Boyd’s
- October 28- Zion Quilting Ministry, 9:00 AM- noon, at church
- October 30 - Women’s Bible Study, 7:00 at Boyd’s
- November 1 - Zion’s Annual Church Conference, 6:00 pm at the Penfield United Methodist Church, 1795 Baird Road, Penfield, NY.
- November 5 - All Saint’s Sunday, bring a photograph of a saint to be remembered
- November 6 - Women’s Bible Study, 7:30 at Boyd’s
- November 13 - Women’s Bible Study, 7:00 at Boyd’s
- November 18- Zion Quilting Ministry, 9:00 AM- noon, at church
- November 20 - Women’s Bible Study, 7:00 at Boyd’s
- December 3 - First Sunday of Advent, Hanging of the Greens following worship
- December 16- Zion Quilting Ministry, 9:00 AM- noon, at church
- December 24 - Christmas Pageant at 9:15 AM worship. Dish-to-Pass Dinner at 5:00 PM. Christmas Eve Candlelight worship, 7:30 PM
There is a lot of news coming forth from Zion!
Meet Zion's Newest Missionaries - Ben and Emily Mooney!
Zion Women's Ministry, the missional outreach effort for our congregation, recently decided to provide monthly support for a new missionary family, Ben and Emily Mooney. Ben and Emily serve in Guatemala serving many who are impoverished and marginalized. They re-manufacture and distribute wheelchairs to those who need them, build houses to replace insecure and inadequate houses, make home visits to distribute malnutrition kits and make friends, and ... all this in the name of Jesus Christ and to the glory of God!
Read about their story at: http://www.bethelministriesinternational.com/ben-and-emily/
Pastor Lida, Lynn and Linda Saxton, and Pastor Todd have all had the privilege of serving with Ben and Emily on our short-term missionary trips to Guatemala. They have become good friends and are passionate to serve!
Fall Women's Bible Study
A Woman Overwhelmed, by Haley DiMarco
A 6-week Bible Study for Women
As women, we often are overwhelmed by the demands and circumstances of life, resulting in stress, fear, worry, impatience, fatigue, frustration, and even depression. The truth is that we were created to be overwhelmed…not by life but by God! When we learn to be overwhelmed by God, the fruit in our lives goes from rotten to fragrant – filling our days with peace, hope, love, and joy. This Bible Study walks us through the story of Mary, Jesus’ mother, who knew what it was like to be overwhelmed.
About the author: Haley DiMarco is a pastor’s wife and the bestselling author of more than forty books. As the founder of Hungry Planet, a company intensely focused on feeding the world’s appetite for truth, Haley is passionate about taking on issues of faith and life. She speaks regularly for women’s groups and events, including Women of Faith, dotMOM, Precept National Women’s Convention, and MOPS International.
Fall 2017 Schedule
7:00pm – 9:00pm
(All study groups at Sharon’s)
- Monday, October 16th. Overwhelmed with Impossibility: Finding Freedom in Belief (Luke 1: 26-38)
- Monday, October 23rd. Overwhelmed with Isolation: Finding Freedom in Community (Luke 1: 39-45)
- Monday October 30th. Overwhelmed with Worry: Finding Freedom in Praise (Luke 1: 26-55)
- Monday, November 6th. Overwhelmed with Challenges: Finding Freedom in Purpose (Luke 2)
- Monday, November 13th. Overwhelmed with Control: Finding Freedom in Surrender (Luke 2:41-52; John 2:1-5; Matthew 12:48-50)
- Monday, November 20th. Overwhelmed with Sin: Finding Freedom in the Son (Luke 23:26-31, 49; 24:1-12)
(Please note November 6th will begin at 7:30)
If you would like me to order the participant book through Cokesbury for you, please let Sharon know by October 6th. Learn more at: http://www.abingdonpress.com/product/9781501839924#.WaQhWyiGOUk
Responding to Natural Disasters
Four spiritual disciplines may be practiced as we respond to the terrible suffering due to recent natural disasters:
1. Pray. Pray for all who are impacted by the hurricane and floods. Pray for their safety, and the safety of their families and friends. Pray for the emergency response teams, local first responders, and those who are being deployed from across the nation.
2. Make a Financial Gift. Those who wish to support the work of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) as we respond to the hurricane Harvey disaster are encouraged to give to UMCOR’s US Disaster Response. Make your check out to the church and in the memo write: Advance #901670.
3. Create and Donate Disaster Relief Buckets. Assemble one or more buckets and bring them to church for blessing and donation. Cleaning, Hygiene, and School disaster relief bucket donations are being accepted. Donated relief buckets will be forwarded through our pre-established UMCOR emergency response system. Learn more and watch instructional videos at: http://www.umcor.org/UMCOR/Relief-Supplies
4. Discern. In coming months, opportunities will rise for short-term mission teams to travel to the Texas Gulf Coast and assist in cleanup and rebuilding. Let each of us prepare ourselves for when we are asked the question: “Would you like to join our team?” Listen and watch for God’s movement in your life.
Regarding our evolving prayer format during worship, please know we are a work in progress! The feedback from recent Sundays is trending positive! We are constantly seeking innovations that keep our prayers meaningful, yet efficient, respectful, graceful and loving. Pray for us! Stay tuned! Keep sending feedback to Pastor Lida, Sharon Boyd, or myself, with our thanks.
Quarters for Campus Ministries!
Our Leadership Team decided to support Genesee Area Campus Ministries by designate our Quarter gifts for this mission. The conference ended funding in 2016, cutting the budget by over $11,000. We are trying to take our part in making up the loss. This is what you can do:
- Bring Quarters the last Sunday of each month and place them in the offering plate
- Take a ceramic bowl home and place it on your kitchen table to collect Quarters throughout the month
- Give Quarters any time by placing them in the bowl in the side room
- Support our United Methodist Student Sunday special offering this Fall
- Make an online donation. Simply go to: http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=2933 and following the directions. It is that easy!
Thank you for your generous support!
Quilting Ministries NEWS!
Contact Kim Valone at 986.4356 or Linda Saxton at 597.2208 to learn about upcoming meetings and how you can take part.
Invite a friend, share a ride, welcome everyone!
Missions of Zion
Missions, also known as outreach, are one of our four core values:
- Exceptional worship
- Purposeful prayer
- Engaging music
- Missional outreach
Remaining focused on these four values helps keep our community of faith strong and centered on Jesus Christ.
We've produced this short video to help outline the missional outreach of Zion.
Enjoy! Share it with your friends!
Pastor Todd's Office Hours
Pastor Todd does not hold regular office hours at Zion. He is, however, available for appointments. If you would like to meet with him call 585.703.9235.
Pastor Todd does maintain regular office hours at the East Rochester United Methodist Church, located at 357 Fairport Road, East Rochester. He is generally in the office Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
Who Do You Call?
When you need a pastor, please feel free to contact either pastor Todd or pastor Lida. We both share prayer concerns and work closely together. Contact information is as follows:
Todd R. Goddard, Pastor, 6274 Knickerbocker Road, Ontario, NY 14519, 585.703.9235 (cell), email@example.com
Lida Merrill, Assistant to the Pastor, 585.402.6657 (cell), Lida.firstname.lastname@example.org
Support the Protestant Chapel Community at the University of Rochester
Online donations are now being accepted to support the Protestant chaplain at the UofR. Simply go to:
http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=2933 and following the directions. It is that easy!
Like Zion's Facebook page!